Monday, January 10, 2011

First...

Took my first bike ride of the year...finally, and it was just 5.5 miles, so short but oh so sweet. Woke up to snow, another first for the year here in Fort Scott, and I allowed my inner child to enjoy it for a tad while. 


We needed a few things from the grocery store, and we are all done packing up the house minus the last minute items in the morning. So I suited up and grabbed my Banjo Brothers bag, lowered the tire pressure on my Tricross singlespeed to gain a bit of traction in the snow and I was out the door.
The roads were not plowed and the scene was nice. No cars to bother me. Just me and the bike enjoying the quiet solitude of a wintry ride.


What was funny though was once I got to the store, the employees there were shocked as all get out that I rode there. Asking me questions as to why and it's too cold, where is your car, etc. That is one thing once we leave here Wednesday, that I surly won't miss...the people shocked seeing someone on a bike because they like it and want to ride  vs. someone riding a bike because they have so many DUI's and cannot get a license. Maybe the town should think of closing some of the liquor stores here...I think we have 6 or more...
Anyhoo, finished up shopping and headed back out on the bike with the groceries on my back and rode a few extra miles before heading home to make us a hot lunch while we watched the snow fall.
Snowed all day, still snowing actually, now we are wondering if we are indeed loading up the moving truck on Tuesday or if the first snowfall in town is keeping us here in a packed house until clearer days. Maybe I can take out the 29r if that is the case and really let my inner child play!

No comments:

Post a Comment